THE ENGLEWOOD LIGHTHOUSE *ESSENTIAL STATEMENT OF FAITH
BELOW IS A LIST OF BIBLICAL DOCTRINES WE HOLD TO BE TRUE WITH A PERFECT FAITH.
1. THE SCRIPTURES – The Bible (The Tanakh and Apostolic Scriptures1 in their original autographs) is the inspired Word of Yahweh2 (the memorial name of God). The product of holy men of old who spoke and wrote as they were moved upon by the Holy Spirit and we accept it as our infallible guide in matters pertaining to conduct and doctrine (2 Tim. 3:16; 1 Thess. 2:13; 2 Peter 1:21).
2. THE UNITY OF GOD – We believe that there is one God (Yahweh), revealed in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit (Deut. 6:4; John 1:1-2, 14-18; John 10:30; John 14:16-17, 26; John 16:7-15).
3. YESHUA THE MESSIAH – We believe in the deity of Yeshua3 HaMashiach (John 1:1-18), in His virgin birth (Is. 9:6; Is. 7:14; Matt. 1:18-25), in His sinless life (Is. 53; 2 Cor. 5:21; Luke 1:35), in His miracles (Matt. 4:23-25), in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood (Is. 53; Dan. 9:24-27; Rom. 3:21-31; Heb 9&10), in His bodily resurrection (Zech. 12:10 & ch.14; Matt. 28), in His ascension to the right hand of the Father (Ps. 110; Ps. 16:10; Acts 1:1 11; Heb. 1:1-3), and in His personal return in power and glory (Dan. 7:9-14; Matt. 26:57-64; Rev. 1:1 18).
Moreover we believe that Yeshua is the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father except through Him (John 14:6; John 6:29, 40, 44; 1 John 5:11-12).
4. MAN, HIS FALL AND REDEMPTION – Man is a created being, made in the likeness and image of Yahweh, but through Adam’s transgression and fall, sin came into the world. “All have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.” “As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one.” Yeshua, the Messiah, the Son of God, was manifested to undo the work of the devil and gave His life and shed His blood to redeem and restore man back to Yahweh (Rom. 5:14; Rom. 3:10; Rom. 3:23; 1 John 3:8). Salvation is the gift of Yahweh to man, separate from works and the law (Rom. 3:19-25), and is made operative by grace through faith in Yeshua, producing works acceptable to Yahweh (Eph. 2:8).
5. ETERNAL LIFE AND THE NEW BIRTH – Man’s first step toward salvation is godly sorrow that leads to repentance. The New Birth is necessary to all men and, when fulfilled, produces eternal life (2 Cor. 7:10; 1 John 5:12; John 3:3-5).
6. BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT – The Baptism in the Holy Spirit and fire is a gift from Yahweh as promised by Yeshua the Messiah to all believers and is received subsequent to the New Birth (Matt. 3:11; John 14:16, 17; Acts 1:8; Acts 2:38, 39). The gift of tongues is one of the many manifestations of the Holy Spirit (Acts 19:1-7; Acts 2:4; 1 Cor. 12:1-11). We believe in the operation of all the gifts of the Spirit as enumerated in Yahweh’s Word. We embrace all of the ministry of the Holy Spirit.
7. SANCTIFICATION – The Bible teaches that without holiness no man can see Yahweh. We believe in the Doctrine of Sanctification as a definite, yet progressive work of grace, commencing at the time of regeneration and continuing until the consummation of salvation (Heb. 12:14; 1 Thess. 5:23; 2 Peter 3:18; Phil. 3:12-14; 1 Cor. 1:30; Rev. 14:12).
8. THE TORAH – We believe that the Torah (five books of Moses) is a comprehensive summary of Yahweh’s foundational laws and ways, as found in both the Tanakh and Apostolic Scriptures (Ex. 19&20; Deut. 5; Jer. 31:31-34; Heb. 8:10; Matt. 5:17-19). Therefore we encourage all believers, both Jews and Gentiles, to affirm, embrace, and practice these foundational laws and ways as clarified through the teachings of Messiah Yeshua (Matt. 5:17-19; 1 Cor. 7:19; Rev. 14:12).
9. THE CHURCH – We believe in the spiritual unity of all believers in Yeshua the Messiah.
We believe that Jewish followers of Yeshua are called to maintain their Jewish, biblical heritage and remain a part of their people Israel as well as the universal body of Believers. This is part of their identity and a witness to Yahweh’s faithfulness.
We believe that Gentile Believers in Messiah are grafted into the Jewish olive tree, Israel (Rom. 11), thereby granting them the privilege of following the Torah. We believe that Yahweh has written the Torah upon every heart (Jew and Gentile) of those in Yeshua (Jer. 31:31-34; Heb. 7:7-12). We believe that the Torah (the first five books of the Bible) is a foundational revelation of the righteousness of Yahweh and the description (with the rest of the scripture) of the lifestyle of the redeemed community (Matt. 5:17-19; 2 Tim. 3:16-17).
10. THE RESURRECTION – We believe in the personal return, in power and glory, of Yeshua the Messiah to judge the living and the dead (Dan. 7:9-14; Matt. 26:57-64; Rev. 1:1 18). We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life, and they that are lost to the resurrection of damnation (John 5:19 29).
1 Commonly referred to as the Old Testament and New Testament.
2 Although The Englewood Lighthouse is not dogmatic on this pronunciation, significant scholarly opinion holds that Yahweh (YHWH) was in Moses’ time pronounced Yahuweh (Yah-oo-ay).
3 Yeshua: “Salvation”; A shortened form of Yehushua meaning Yahweh’s salvation.